15 November, 2010

Bud Powell's solo on Celia

I'm trying to get into Bud Powell.  I've tried many times before.  While I've been able to appreciate how good he is, his music just never really "grabbed" me.  I'm beginning to dig it more as I get older.  Thanks to Graeme Norris & James Sherlock for subliminally getting me into him over the years... and that famous Kurt Rosenwinkel interview ("do you pretend to play modern jazz?").

I got into this tune through James Sherlock's new CD, Domestic Arts.  I then proceeded to check out the original, on Bud Powell's Jazz Giant (1949), which is where this transcription is from.  I also found another version in my library from Kenny Kirkland's album - I'll probably do that one at a later date!

Bud Powell - Celia (Concert)

Bud Powell - Celia (Bb) (just for you, Graeme!)

I had a "Kenny Barron Sunday" and followed it up with a "Bud Powell Monday".  The opening break inspired me just before I left home to accompany some trumpet exams.  Decided to do the rest after watching The Simpsons...

No comments:

Post a Comment